Tuesday, January 19, 2010

JP- 40 Minutes Away by Train, 10 by Car

It's always funny to look at a subway map and chart a round-about path to a particular destination. Okay, I'll ride into the city, transfer to the Orange Line and take it to Jackson Square... no, I'll take it to Stony Brook... Then, upon looking at an area map you realize that you probably could have walked a more direct path in less time and feel like a chump for having risked the threat of Swine Flu by taking public transportation to a place so geographically close.



After spending the entire day indoors on Sunday, my roommate and I ventured out that evening to pop our Jamaica Plain cherries. We went to visit a friend who recently moved into the mecca of cool, first stopping in her sweet little apartment which is predominantly decorated with cacti, before migrating to Bella Luna and the Milky Way Lounge (http://www.milkywayjp.com/) where we snacked on calamari and olives and enjoyed a smattering of cocktails. My friends were delighted by the drink menu and changed beverages often, passing their glasses across the table insisting each of have a sip. I was more laid back than my cohorts and was still in my Sunday football funk, so I stuck with my usual Harpoon IPA for the evening.



Jamaica Plain is an interesting part of the city. It's simultaneously family-focused and alternative-lifestyle themed. I imagine children who grow up in the area learn lessons on open-mindedness on their daily walks to school as they pass gay bars, tattoo parlors, sketchy convenience stores, eco-friendly boutiques, party houses and beautiful old homes with tidy front yards. I'm in no place to pass any real judgement on the area seeing as I have spent hardly an entire evening there, but from what I saw through the rain, I found it quite charming and homey in that it literally reminded me of parts of the Twin Cities. A little bit, it's like Dinky Town, with small shops and paper lantern-lit restaurants surrounded by residential, old neighborhoods. Our friend said that living in JP feels like home, that she loves the energy and quirk of the area. I'm happy for her, for that's what we're all doing- looking to feel at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment