Thursday, January 21, 2010

on DEADlines

So. I'm supposed to be writing an article right now. It's about the fantastic local businesses of Southie (uh, I mean "South Boston" as the 30-something, chino-wearing, stroller-pushing men and women of the area call it) and how everyone should visit the Broadway strip. I gave myself a week to write it and though I have many crappy drafts completed, I have yet to create any semblance of an actual article. Essentially I have failed my first self-given assignment. Awesome.

Instead of writing, I've spent the vast majority of this evening looking at wedding stuff (dresses, flowers, feathers, blogs) for my best friend who is soon(ish) to be married. I'm a bridesmaid. I've never been a bridesmaid before. In fact, I've only been to one wedding, and ohmygosh! it was a wonderful wedding! But in general I don't know how any of this shit works and delving into the strange world of brides[maids] has only driven home the fact that I definitely want to elope if I ever decide I actually want to get married. My friend will be a beautiful bride/wife, though, and I'm so incredibly happy for her and her beau/fiance/(2nd) best friend/boyfriend.



I almost just made a list of things I would do if I were having a wedding, but then I realized how a) disgustingly self-indulgent that is and, b) how stupid it is because I abhor the idea of having a wedding for myself (though I love the idea for other people). BUT, if I were to have a wedding, it would involve bow-ties (for the bride, too), dramatic themes (James Bond, Titanic, LEGO, Peacock, etc.) and an open bar.

Oh! And twinkle lights, of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment