Tuesday, March 2, 2010

It's been on repeat

I go through stages with music and will listen to a single album continuously for days, weeks, months. Since December, I've been time and again coming back to Bob Dylan's Infidels. Perhaps I don't tire of it because I've yet to actually memorize all the lyrics- not in terms of their actual words, for that's easy, but rather the sentiment behind them.

The album offers many interesting cultural criticisms, such as the raping of third world countries, the limits of free will and that fantastic murky area between good and bad (whatever those words connote to various people) that we as human beings must continuously grapple with as we find meaning in our every day lives.

A grungy peer of mine once called Infidels Dylan's worst album. I disagree, I think it's his best, and I think my grungy peer best start showering if he wants people to take his opinions seriously.

"Steal a little and they throw you in jail
Steal a lot and they make you king."
-Sweetheart Like You

Also noteworthy is Mark Knopfler's lyrical guitar throughout the album. It's actually beautiful.

1 comment: