Friday, February 5, 2010

I tell you the truth:

I always love the parts in the Bible where Jesus starts saying something with, "I tell you the truth." I'm a fan of honesty, and it is with a truthful tongue that I confess the following: I spend far too much time in my kimono, drinking whiskey and sitting on my computer- this post alone is proof.

I used to have a robe and it looked like this:


(Just FYI, I was a junior in high school in this photo, so it by no means represents my current fashion decisions... And I don't know why this picture was ever taken or who actually took it? Probably one of my brothers? Anyway, YUCK!)

Looking back, I don't know how I still had friends after they saw me in such a garment. Really, it looks like a Muppet was attacking me, but not in a Lady Gaga way. It's just a giant, pink Muppet, slowly smothering me! It's pains me to say that this robe sadly didn't go into retirement until quite recently (I'm sorry to all my college roommates for having to bear witness to this monstrosity) and I've since graduated to wearing a kimono around the apartment.

Perhaps it's unwarranted, but I feel like I'm committing some sort of cultural blasphemy every time I wear my kimono- as if I'm in some way degrading the Japanese culture by throwing it on so casually and lounging around, sitting in various positions that crease the fabric. My father got it while on a business trip in Japan and I know it's of good quality, so I struggle with how I use such a beautiful garment. But at the same time, if I don't wear it as a robe it will simply hang in my closet ad infinitum and that just seems pointless.

SO! I'm wearing my kimono as a robe and I'm drinking some whiskey and if it were warmer and I had some matches on hand I'd open the window and smoke my pipe.

Japan, please don't hate me.

No comments:

Post a Comment