Wednesday, February 24, 2010

My roommate asked, "What's up with all these Mtv dates you keep going on with your co-workers?"

Last night, I went to the Boston Skating Club and for the first time in years! laced myself into ice skates. Every Tuesday from 8:30 to 10:40 they offer open skating with live organ music of the polka variety. I expected to see a lot of tiny Olympic wanna-be figure skaters prancing around like fawns on ice, but the demographic was mostly comprised of middle-aged former skaters who took the opportunity to practice old moves and get some exercise. Also, there was a staggering number of the very elderly in attendance who had stayed up past their bedtime to glide around on the ice and couple skate like middle schoolers at a roller-rink. It was pretty adorable, and they were actually quite agile, all things considered.

Personally, I made myself very proud when, after a surprisingly short space of time, I no longer moved like Frankenstein On Ice and was able to do crossovers and little spins without once falling on my bum.

Sadly, I don't have pictorial evidence of the adventure due to the fact that the skating warden did not allow us to take pictures on the ice, but I can assure you that it was a truly magical way to spend a Tuesday night. Perhaps I'll even go again next week! But probably not.

No comments:

Post a Comment