Monday, February 1, 2010

Perpetual Weekends

I live in a state of constant weekend. One day I will probably have a career that will necessitate that I stay in on weeknights and generally behave myself, but presently I'm free to sit at bars talking books and movies and Lady GaGa all night and then sleep until 9:00 (or later...) the next morning. It's almost gotten to the point where I don't know what people do if they stay in for the evening- watch TV, I suppose?

Anyway, last night I had a decadent evening at Ken Oringer's fantastic sashimi bar, Uni in the Eliot Hotel. A good friend of mine is moving to San Francisco and we took advantage of the occasion to feast like kings on our usual seaweed salad, tomato water martinis (they sound weird, but they're actually delicious and, surprisingly, non-alcoholic), vegetable tempura, roasted peppers and a plethora of other delicious foods, the names of which I'm uncertain. Generally I enjoy making decisions for myself, but when I'm at a good restaurant or am in the company of people whose palates I trust, I like my food to be ordered on my behalf. By practicing this method of ordering, I'm exposed to delicious meals that I never would have tried on my own, opting instead for something uncomplicated and familiar. Because my friend is a former employee of Uni we were sent plates of fresh chef-creations including thin strips of raw octopus partially cooked in a hot sesame oil that were just as good as they were beautiful. I just love that, having a chef decide what to feed me! Overall it was a fantastic Sunday night and I'm lucky to be able to sit and drink wine with good friends until midnight rather than tuck myself into bed and set my alarm.

Life, I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment